Mission and Purpose
The mission of Reiman Gardens’ Internship Program is to promote the professional and intellectual development of students through a multi-disciplinary educational approach and hands-on work experience. With one of the most intensive, cross-dimensional programs at ISU and in the public gardens field, Reiman Gardens' interns go on to become experts and leaders in their chosen fields. There are opportunities for experience in event management, education, entomology, marketing, volunteer engagement, plant collections, and of course, a variety of facets of horticulture - from landscaping and design to irrigation and community/edible gardening.
2023-24 Internship Opportunities
In 2023-2024 there are opportunities for full-time summer interns and part-time spring interns.
Reiman Gardens’ interns are partnered with a full-time professional staff member to explore day-to-day duties and experiences in an innovative public garden setting. Each summer intern is required to work in their specialized area four and a half days a week, with one half day a week reserved for educational workshops, demonstrations, and field trips for a total of ~40 hours per week (20 for semester internships), including some weekend and evening hours. Various internship components provide additional educational experiences across departments, building skills that extend beyond daily work, and which help make interns highly competitive professional job-seekers. Examples include:
- opportunities for self- and group reflection
- education sessions providing operational understanding of public gardens, museums, and other non-profits
- field trips to similar organizations
- tours of Reiman Gardens' plant, invertebrate, and art collections
- interdepartmental rotation experiences
- marketing experience creating videos for social media and mobile content for visitor engagement
- public speaking (summer interns will present a public program together near the end of the internship)
Each semester's internship program runs concurrently with Iowa State University's semester calendar.
Any current undergraduate student at any college or university with an interest in horticulture, public gardens, or non-profit organizations is encouraged to apply.